Video by Redha Chaudhry, our 2018-2019 contest winner.
Through our annual video contest, we challenge you to think creatively and critically about the impact of your study abroad experience. Videos must adhere to the categories below, however no style or genre is off limits. Video, film, documentary, animation, stop motion, photo montage, comedy, romance, etc.—please wow us with your best work! The deadline to apply is March 30th!
- The Short of it!– Give us a 60 second glimpse of your study abroad experience. The subject matter is up to you (e.g. academics, student life, local culture, internships, research, living arrangement, history, excursions).
- Digital Story – In 2-3 minutes directly answer some or all of the following questions:
- How did study abroad influence you? Did you have moments that changed your perspective? Did you make lifelong friends?
- How did study abroad impact you professionally, academically and/or personally?
- What challenges did you overcome on study abroad?
- Images: Gather your photos and video clips.
- Audio: Find royalty free music (YouTube Audio Library and Bensound are reputable sites) and record a voice-over (optional.)
- Create: Download video editing software (like iMovie, Moviemaker, WeVideo, or Adobe Premiere Pro) to make your video.
- Content of your video must be original work . Please note that borrowed images from stock images sites or audio clips from external websites must all be cited at the end of your video.
- Be aware of copyright restrictions: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/circ92.pdf . For purposes of this contest, students are permitted and encouraged to film images of DePaul’s campus and to use the DePaul University name. DePaul reserves the right to disqualify any entry if, in the University’s sole judgment, a film appears to contain illegal content or infringe on the intellectual property rights of others. Students are specifically advised against submitting the following:
- Films that incorporate content created by a third party (music, movie clips, artwork, etc.), except to the extent your use qualifies as Fair Use;
- Films that prominently feature other companies’ trademarks or logos without written consent;
- Films that are apparently defamatory or obscene;
- Films that prominently feature any individuals (including celebrities) who have not consented to use of their name, image, and/or likeness in the film; and
- Films containing content that violates any University Policy, including but not limited to the Anti-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy and DePaul’s Guiding Principles of Free Speech and Expression.
- Videos must be of high resolution quality and be 2-3 minutes in length.
- Entrants may submit one video per category, but may only win in one category.
- Content of your video must be appropriate for viewing in academic settings.
Finalists will be determined by the Study Abroad staff on the following criteria:
- Appropriate content and technical quality - does not violate copyright rules.
- Adheres to category length and requirements.
Once finalists are selected, their videos will be posted on the DePaul Study Abroad Facebook Page for voting. Past prizes have included travel backpacks, scratch maps, and gift cards.
By submitting a video to the video contest, I agree to grant DePaul University (“DePaul”) a perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, and/or publicly display my video(s). This shall specifically include a license to electronically distribute my video(s) using online resources, including, but not limited to DePaul’s Web site and/or third party Web sites, such as YouTube. I further grant DePaul the rights to crop, treat, and edit the Work(s) as deemed necessary at its sole discretion. I represent and warrant that my video(s) is/are my original work(s) of authorship and/or that I have the exclusive right to license the entire contents of my video(s) to third parties, including DePaul. I further warrant that all individuals appearing in my video(s) have consented to the use of their images and likenesses for purposes of this contest.